This roasting method results in a duck that is tender, moist and lightly flavored with caraway.
- 5-pound duck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon whole caraway seed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash duck well, inside and out.
- Cut off wing tips and remove any extra fat from around cavity and neck.
- Sprinkle duck with salt and caraway seed, both inside and outside.
- Put duck directly in roasting pan (not on rack), breast side down and pour 1 cup of water into pan.
- Cover completely with tinfoil and roast for one hour.
- Turn duck breast side up and roast for another hour or until duck is fully cooked and skin is golden brown
- Serve with Dumplings and Red Cabbage.