Letcho (Sweet Pepper Stew)
Letcho (Lecso) is a sweet pepper stew that is Hungarian in origin, although it is popular in many areas of Central and Eastern Europe. There are regional and personal variations, but the central ingredient is always fresh peppers.
- 3 sweet peppers, 1 green, 1 red and 1 yellow
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- Pinch powdered cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound precooked Polish kielbasa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in large skillet and fry onions until glassy.
- Slice peppers into 1/2 inch rounds or slices and add to skillet
- Quarter tomatoes and add to skillet along with salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Cut kielbasa into 4 pieces and add.
- Cover skillet and simmer until the peppers are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with boiled potatoes, potato pancakes or bread